Required Tools and Supplies:
- Shop Rags
- Driven Clutch Spreader Tool
- 8mm Socket
- Torque Wrench
To learn more about tools, read the Tools and Fasteners Guide.
Always wear safety glasses and nitrile gloves while servicing your Polaris GENERAL. To inspect and replace the drive belt on your GENERAL XP 1000 or XP 4 1000, follow these steps:
1. Park the vehicle on a flat, level surface.
2. Ensure the vehicle is in PARK.
3. Lift the cargo box.
4. Using an 8mm socket, loosen the hose clamp attaching the PVT intake hose to the outer clutch cover. Remove the hose and set aside.
5. Using an 8mm socket, remove the eight screws that retain the outer clutch cover.
6. Carefully maneuver the outer clutch cover out of the vehicle.
7. Inspect the cover seal and replace if necessary. The seal is part number 5521831.
8. Take note of the drive belt direction of rotation. The belt must be installed in the same direction if reusing.
9. Insert the clutch spreader tool into the driven clutch to spread the clutch sheaves.
10. Carefully walk the belt off the driven clutch and remove from the drive clutch.
11. Inspect the belt for any fraying, hour-glassing, loose cords, missing cogs, abrasions, burns or damage, and replace if needed.
12. Clean out the inside of the clutch covers thoroughly. Warning: Failure to remove ALL debris when replacing the belt could result in vehicle damage, loss of control and severe injury or death.
13. If replacing the belt, the part number on the belt should face outward when installed. The belt is part number 3211180.
14. Loop the belt over the drive clutch and begin to walk it over the driven clutch sheave, opening the clutch sheaves with the spreader tool as needed.
15. Spin the driven clutch five to seven times to seat the belt.
16. Carefully reinstall the clutch cover, ensuring the cover seal is fully seated.
17. Install the eight cover fasteners. Torque to 54 in-lbs (6 Nm).
18. Reinstall the PVT intake hose. Torque the hose clamp to 35 in-lbs (4 Nm).
19. Lower the cargo box.
For more information, see your authorized Polaris Dealer. Find a dealer near you with the Dealer Locator.
Maintenance tips, procedures and specifications can be found in your Owner's Manual.
To find diagrams and replacement part numbers, use the online parts catalog.