Always change the oil and filter at the intervals outlined in the Periodic Maintenance Chart found in your Owner's Manual. Always change the oil filter whenever changing oil. When changing the oil on your vehicle, always wear safety glasses and nitrile gloves. Always remove all cargo from the cargo box before lifting the box to access engine components. Access the oil fill cap (2), dipstick (1) and filter under the cargo box.
The crankcase drain plug is located on the bottom of the crankcase. Access the drain plug through the access hole in the skid plate under the crankcase.
To change the oil and filter:
1. Remove all cargo from the cargo box.
2. Position the vehicle on a level surface.
3. Place the transmission in PARK.
4. Stand clear and pull up on the cargo box release lever. Lift the front of the cargo box.
5. For maximum clearance in the engine compartment, detach the cargo box shock from the base of the box.
6. Carefully detach the fuel line and spark plug wires from their retaining clips on the outlet hose and then loosen the outlet hose clamp and remove the hose from the clutch cover. Caution: Do not allow debris or other objects to enter the clutch cover.
7. Locate the crankcase drain plug access hole in the skid plate.
8. Clean the area around the crankcase drain plug. Caution: Hot oil can cause burns to skin. Do not allow hot oil to contact skin.
9. Place a drain pan under the engine crankcase and remove the drain plug with a 6mm Allen socket. Allow the oil to drain completely.
10. Using a 2.5-inch (64mm) oil filter wrench, turn the filter counter-clockwise to remove it.
11. Using a clean dry cloth, clean the filter sealing surface on the crankcase.
12. Lubricate the O-ring on the new filter with a film of fresh engine oil. Check to make sure the O-ring is in good condition. The oil filter is part number 2540086. It is included in both oil change kits.
13. Install the new filter and turn by hand until the filter gasket contacts the sealing surface and then turn an additional 3/4 turn.
14. Reinstall the drain plug with a 6mm Allen socket. Torque the drain plug to 12 ft-lbs (16 Nm).
15. Remove the oil fill cap and add 2.5 quarts (2.4 liters) of recommended oil. Reinstall the cap.
16. Start the engine and check for leaks.
17. Stop the engine and wait 15 seconds before removing the dipstick.
18. Remove the dipstick. Wipe it dry with a clean cloth.
19. Reinstall the dipstick completely. Remove the dipstick and check the oil level.
20. Remove the oil fill cap and add oil as needed to bring the lever to the upper mark on the dipstick. Do not overfill.
21. Reinstall the fill cap. Reinstall the dipstick.
22. Reinstall the outlet hose to the clutch box, routing the hose under the fuel line and spark plug wires. Make sure the clutch cover rib aligns in the notch at the end of the outlet hose. Tighten the clamp.
23. Reinstall the fuel line and spark plug wires to the retaining clips on the outlet hose.
24. Lower the cargo box and push down securely to latch.
25. Dispose of the used filter and oil properly.
Programmable Service Interval
The service interval counter on the instrument cluster of your GENERAL is programmed to 25 hours at the factory. As hours of engine operation increase, the counter decreases. The wrench icon will flash for about 10 seconds when the counter reaches zero and each time the key is turned on thereafter until the counter is reset.
When this feature is enabled, it provides a convenient reminder to perform routine maintenance. Refer to the recommended oil change intervals.
To reset or change the service interval:
1. Press and hold the MODE (4) button to enter the settings menu.
2. Press either toggle button (5) to cycle to the "Service Hours" option. Press MODE to select.
3. Press MODE to reset the existing value and exit or press either toggle button to change the value. Press MODE to save and exit the settings menu.
More procedures and tips can be found in the Maintenance section of your Owner’s Manual. Engine oil capacity and other fluid capacities can be found in the Specifications section of the Owner’s Manual.
To find a Polaris Dealer near you, use the Dealer Locator.
To find diagrams and replacement part numbers, use the online parts catalog.